Thursday, April 1, 2010

British Columbia, will you marry me?



Well, I made it. Juneau. I know you were all desperately concerned for my safety and well-being; rest assured, all is well. The car, after a new alternator, battery, and 1800 miles of agonizing bliss through British Columbia and the Yukon, rolled on to the ferry in Skagway, AK, yesterday with the gas light on.

After crossing the coast ranges from Vancouver...

























...then following the deep canyons of the Fraser River (my new love)...



















...through the northern boreal forests...


















...and across the northernmost Rocky Mountains...


















...and back again to a deep arm of the Pacific Ocean in Skagway, we persevered.















Through rain and snow squalls, interrupted by dramatic oases of sunlight, down a road guarded by the Great Northern Oracles, my blessed car carried me to my new home.





















Left
: Great Gray Owl. Right: Northern Hawk-owl.



There wasn't much time to stop and do anything, but what an amazing landscape! Check out some more pictures and cool panoramas from along the way in this interactive Google Earth window below (you need to have Google Earth installed on your computer for it to work).

1 comment:

  1. You awful bastard.....great scenes, great owls...glad you made it. Come to Homer in September.

    ReplyDelete